As the name suggests, dental bridges fill in or bridge the gap between the teeth that are missing or broken. On each side of the bridge are abutment teeth which serve to anchor the bridge. Under the bridge itself is/are false tooth/teeth called pontics which are made of alloy, gold, porcelain or a mix of these materials.
Dental bridges which are done by the dentist Newport Beach offer many benefits which include:
- Restoration of the patient’s smile.
- Restoration of the patient’s ability to chew or bite the food properly with force being well-distributed since the missing teeth is covered.
- The patient can speak properly after dental bridge placement since the teeth’s proper alignment is restored.
- The face of your shape won’t get deformed because there are supporting teeth already.
- The rest of the healthy teeth won’t drift away because of the support the dental bridge gives.
Your choice of dental bridge vary with the type of material being used and also with the way it serves its function in your teeth. The different dental bridge based on functionality are:
- Traditional Bridges. Traditional bridges are made up of porcelain fused to metals or ceramics. The dentist Newport Beach creates a crown for your tooth or implant on each side of your missing tooth, with your false tooth in the center.
- Cantilever Bridges. These are dental bridges typically created at the back of the mouth as it is used to fill the cavity between two adjacent teeth with a missing tooth or teeth on only one side of them.
- Maryland bonded bridges. These type of bridges are made up of porcelain or metal wings on one side of the bridge which are attached or bonded to your existing teeth.
The cost of these dental bridges varies depending on whoever Newport Beach dentist you select to perform the procedure. If you have dental insurance, then part of it will be covered based on the type of your dental plan.
Good oral hygiene, the choice of food you eat, and regular dental check-ups with your Newport Beach dentist can all contribute to the proper prognosis of your dental bridge. There are those that could last up to 15 years or longer. The success of the procedure is also very much influenced by your daily brushing (at least twice a day), flossing, and use of antiseptic mouthwash. Scheduling a prophylactic treatment or cleaning of your teeth with your dentist Newport Beach like Dr. Anthony Rich will also help detect early stages of gum or any other oral diseases before they can damage your bridge and your remaining healthy teeth.